characters overall

character for shirt,

characters overall

Postby Tony » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

So here we will take care of the characters, like professor, rats, robots and so on. Overall character appearance and that kind of stuff. Then every character will have his own forum completely focused only on him. Tadaaa... great....

So first thing are those rats. I honestly do not feel able to make them look real. Because of that fur (same trouble will be with a profesor). Of course it is possile to make it, but it will take billion years to render and looks bad anyway. We can spend all the time making hair particles look real, but i would prefer to fuck them and focus on animation itself. Otherwise we might get dangerously closer to that story (which name is forbidden).
so those particles are difficult to make, but might looks good or even real. (however i dont want to make i real).
There is also other way and that is to make hair like one mass and animate it. (second picture)
but that is really weird. I mean in the movie. I cant imagine profesor with something like this. It´s too much of Manga for me. And rats...

But that´s just my point of view, we can try it if you would like to.
Tony
Site Admin

Re: characters overall

Postby Vlastovka » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Nope, I totally agree. I would like to try 3D animation, but maybe we can try to make it looks like a 2D a bit. Because obviously, a super-awesome-CGpixar-like would take a years to do, and I don´t really think, that we are able to do it (except you T., of course). So maybe, we should rather do something visually interesting.
something like this:

I am not putting that here, because I want to do it in the same style, just for a reference how 3D can look un3D. Or if you remember The tale of three brother from the Harry Potter! Same thing!
Vlastovka

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Right right right! That´s a good one! Really... now i am not quite sure how exactly we can do that. Or i am affraid that there is a lot of drawing and almost no CG. But it looks really good... ehmmm... How about to combine it... This style is beautifull, but it´s quite hard to create action in that however CG can deal with actions but looks (very often) very bad... So how about use really drawings for backgrounds, buldings and everything behind so we dont have to model it and hand drawn textures for 3d models, (kind of like that borderlands style http://www.carnivora-publishing.com/cp/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=224).

Or we can generally use simplier models without that photorealistic shading and use hand drawn UV´s. Actually that is that mentioned borderlands way. However i would like to keep it as a CG (to stick with interpolated animation). We have to learn it anyway. And this traditional animation use later on different project... maybe something more abstract (but that´s just my opinion. The thing is that via CG we can really work all the time without complicated meetings. That is the main reason.

For case of hand drawn textures i bought a graphic tablet, really good one, so i can give it to you. Then you will be able to lead the graphic side. But if you would like to please take that UV unwrapping topic for "homework" it´s interesting one and it will be what you might do if you´ll agree with that...

(uv unwrapping just for illustration but i am quite sure you know what it is)

But it´s just a proposal...
Tony
Site Admin

Postby Vlastovka » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Yay, tablet would be cool!
Ok, i will take that think on UVs, but....i wont have time for that till i will get back to uk. Also...do you know, how to customize Blender to make it work Maya - like? I finally got into Maya a bit, so i hope they are similar.
Vlastovka

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah of course, you´ll take it to Bournemouth if you would like to. And that customization... Yes, it is a question of window arrangement and shortcuts settings. If you know what you want and you spend a while customizing it´s surely possible! But i don´t know maya, i´ve never ever used it. Only saw few videos so...
Tony
Site Admin

Postby Vlastovka » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 pm

I am just worried, that I was talking with one guy about Maya and Blender and he told me, that blender is way much more difficult!
Vlastovka

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Surely is! It´s much more advanced and it is open-source, so it is a science more than user friendly tool. But as a complex... You don´t have to use all the functions, when you focus on one, you can learn it quite well and fast. Blender is not a tool for something, but more like world. You can do almost everything there. If you´ll choose one thing you want to do, like model or texture it´s not that difficult. And we will be helping each other and oneselves by making that tutorials.

And one big advance in comparison to Maya is, that Blender has almost no limits, so learning it is an investment to future. You can never learn every function it has, but you can be better and better in program, that will allways be available for free and will allways be upgraded for free. But that´s not an offense against Maya, really not...
Tony
Site Admin

Postby Vlastovka » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

I know, it for free, that a big plus....but maya is the most used software for CG around the world. There must be a reason for it. Plus I will have to learn both anyway, if I want to make some money for living. And I think, czech tv is using nuke and maya so... but if there´s a possibility to customize it, I think it will be fine.
Vlastovka

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Yeah i know you have to... Let´s keep it for now on few skills like uv mapping, animating and modelling. And that reason might be the habbit, blender has not allways been a strong program. But it´s just a theory... We will develop a way how to easily create the UV´s without having to learn Blender that deeply. Same with the animating and modelling. That is actually just a question of keys (in case of buildings at least)... Just please have a look at the premade layout for UV´s in blender
And try to watch some tutorials on uv unwrapping,mapping and project painting. If you don´t know where to find it, i can give you some quite helpful tutorials. It might work this way.
Tony
Site Admin

Return to Characters shirt